Skip to content

Accepted Student Questions

What should I do if I’ve been accepted into more than one program?

You will have to decide which program you are going to participate in before the deposit deadline. Keep in mind that some programs may require a decision earlier than others. Once you have confirmed your program selection, you should inform all the faculty directors of your choice right away and withdraw your application from the other programs on the study away application site.

I’m on the waiting list for a program. When will I find out if I’ve been accepted?

Ask your program's faculty director. He/she will be able to give you the most accurate timeline. If the program becomes full, you will receive an automatic status change.

When are the Consent Form, Financial Agreement, and deposits for my program due?

Generally, all forms and your deposit is due within 2 weeks of your acceptance. You will find the confirmation due date on the Financial Agreement for your program. All three of these materials must be turned in to Center for Study Away and International Education. You must turn in all pages included within the Consent Form and Financial Agreement.

Where do I find the Consent Form and the Financial Agreement for my program?

These forms are found in the post-acceptance information steps by logging into your study away account.

Will you accept a scanned or faxed signature on the Consent Form or Financial Agreement?

Furman prefers forms with original signatures but will accept scanned or faxed copies if originals cannot be obtained. A typed name placed in cursive text does NOT constitute as a legal signature.

Can I stay in a destination before or after the program dates?

Check with your program’s faculty director. He/she usually books the flights and makes these arrangements. If you require a visa for your program, understand its limitations and regulations. Check with the to determine if a visa is required and application process. Contact the country’s consulate/embassy about travel outside of your visa dates. If you are allowed to extend your travel, you will not be associated with Furman during these times and you will be responsible for acquiring your own travel health insurance.

How do I obtain a visa?

The visa process will be facilitated by your faculty leader or program provider. Students start their visa process 90 days before their departure date. This process may take several weeks and requires the student to handover their passport. Students should consider this when scheduling outside travel as international travel may not be feasible. Students participating on consecutive semesters should be conscious of the time constraints between programs.

Students can only apply for a visa with a consulate of which they have valid, current proof of residence (Furman Student ID, Driver’s license, State Residence card). U.S. citizens generally cannot apply for a visa in a foreign country. International students should determine if they will have to return to their home country to complete the visa process. Check with your Financial Agreement to determine if you are responsible for the costs associated with the visa process.