Skip to content

General Questions


What is the difference between Study Away and Study Abroad?

Furman offers Faculty-led Semester and May Experience programs both abroad and within the United States, so by participating in one of these programs, you might not be abroad, but you will be ‘studying away’ from Furman.

How do I find out what study away programs are offered each year?

A list of Furman's study away programs, including Faculty-led, Affiliate and Exchange Programs can be found on the Study Away Programs page. Faculty-led programs for the May Experience and the following academic year are announced at the Study Away Fair during Family Weekend in the Fall term.

What types of study away programs does Furman offer?

Furman’s Study Away opportunities range from three week intensive May Experience courses to semester or year-long programs, both domestically and abroad. Students can choose from Furman faculty-led programs, study away programs through affiliate or exchange organizations, or a non-Furman program. Some of these study away opportunities may include internships, language immersions, interdisciplinary courses, or enrollment at partnering universities abroad.

Do I have to apply to a program that is in my major?

No, Furman’s study away programs are open to all majors, but some programs have other prerequisites to acceptance. Check with the program’s faculty director if you have questions.

Can I do more than one study away program over my four years at Furman?

With careful planning, it is possible for students to study away more than once. Students wishing to participate in consecutive semester programs should talk to their study away adviser about scheduling and pre-departure requirements. Furman does not limit the number of study away programs that students can go on; however students should consult with their academic adviser to be sure that their study away plans will still allow them to meet all of the academic requirements necessary to graduate on time.

Where do I find information about specific program details?

For faculty-led programs, the program’s faculty director will have the most detailed, and up to date information. For information on affiliate and exchange programs, please make an appointment with the study away adviser.