Skip to content

For Students

Summer Orientation
Studying away is an important decision in a student's pathway to personal and professional development! Review this section to explore program offerings and necessary factors to consider when deciding to engage in study away. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page and review program and application requirements, finances, passport/visa information and lifestyle within your program destination. 

Thinking about studying away and want to learn more?Attend an information session or set up an advising appointmentto learn more about the variety of programs offered at Furman University!

Students are required to attend ONE Study Away Information Session hosted by a member of the Study Away Office. Please review the Study Away Information Session Dates to see the times and locations of the offered sessions.


The Study Away Student Handbook 2019-2020 provides students with information on: planning finances application process pre-departure logistics cultural adjustments returning home.

For official university policies regarding academic regulations, transfer credit, and courses descriptions, students should refer to the current University Catalog or consult the Registrar’s Office.
Furman offers a variety of study away programs for our students. Students can participate in year-long, semester, May or Summer programs. To explore our program options, visit "View Program Offerings".

Furman Students - Select "Log In" at the top right of the page.

Non-Furman Students applying to come to Furman as an Exchange Student - Select "Non-Furman Log In" and follow the instructions to create an account and access the exchange application.

For Faculty-led and Affiliate semester programs, the cost is generally equal to semester tuition, room and board on campus (international airfare, tuition, lodging, most meals, and course-related travel are included). Financial Aid applies as it would on campus. 

MayX tuition is covered in the comprehensive semester fees, so students are charged the actual program costs which can range from $2,500 to about $6,000.

Costs for Exchange programs vary. For some programs you may pay tuition, room, and board to Furman, for others room and board may be paid directly to the exchange university.

Students participating on Non-Furman programs must request a Leave of Absence the semester before the commencement of their Non-Furman study away program. When a student takes a leave of absence from Furman, they apply and pay the cost directly to the Non-Furman program.

Scholarships are available for Furman Faculty-led, Affiliate, Exchange, and MayX/Summer participants. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, academic performance, and student’s rationale for study away. Students intending to apply for a scholarship should be sure that they have a FAFSA report on file with the Financial Aid office for the previous year. Students are eligible for one scholarship per year and any scholarships awarded in subsequent years will be reduced.

Health insurance is automatically provided if you are participating in a Furman program overseas. Learn more about Furman's international insurance plan. 

The World Health Organization monitors disease outbreaks, and assesses health trends around the world. A health profile is available for every country that is a member of the organization. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention offers additional resources, providing valuable information to travelers on what vaccines should be taken prior to departure.

If you have a disability, be sure to talk with the Student Office for Accessibility Resources and the Center for Study Away as you're considering your options. Ask faculty program directors about physical requirements and learning conditions while deciding whether to participate. Together, you can discuss a travel plan that will work for you.

It's normal to go through various stages of culture shock when you travel abroad:

Honeymoon phase: When you first arrive everything is new, different, and exciting. During this phase you will experience heightened curiosity and a desire to try new things and meet new people
Culture shock: You're starting to get annoyed and frustrated with the everyday differences in culture. You might also be experiencing homesickness and fear. This might occur gradually or suddenly
Initial adjustment: You start to get over your initial culture shock
Acceptance and integration: You've worked through the other stages of culture shock and now feel like you've integrated into the new culture

During these phases you might experience a range of symptoms. Remember, culture shock is common and some of your classmates might be having a similar experience. Don't be afraid to talk to your classmates and your professor about what you're feeling.Change in eating a sleeping habits.

•Homesickness and more frequent communication with family and friends at home
•Hostility toward and complaints about your host country or culture
•Irritability, sadness, symptoms of depression
•Frequent frustration
•Feelings of inferiority
•Recurring illness
•Withdrawal from the group or activities

Returning to Furman can result in what is referred to as reverse culture shock. Learn more about reverse culture shock and how to re-adjust to returning back to the U.S. and campus.

As soon as you're accepted into a program, you should apply for or renew your passport. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the return date of your program. Remember, you may need to submit your passport information several months before you travel so it's best to start the passport process as early as possible.

You should research the visa and entry requirements for all of the countries you will be visiting. If you are considering travel to Europe, you must comply with the Schengen Area regulations, which only permit a stay of up to 90 days within continental Europe within a 180 day period. This regulation may affect students intending to participate in multiple study away programs. If your academic program is longer than 90 days, you will be eligible for and will need to obtain a student visa.

International students are responsible for obtaining all necessary visas for your program's destination(s). You should consult with the program director and the study away office to determine what additional visa requirements may be needed. In some cases, you may need to travel to the nearest consulate office to obtain a visa for travel to their desired destination country.    

For more information about passports, visas, and entry regulations, visit the U.S. State Department website to begin your research.