PALMERSTON NORTH New Zealand
The Ultimate Study Abroad Experience
Situated on the banks of the Manawatu River and within the green hills of the region's sheep and dairy district, Palmerston North is a haven for university students. Known as the "Student City," Palmy's youthful population is evident and has led to an abundance of affordable dining options, live theater and music, as well as a plethora of cafés. The city is within close proximity to some of the region's most scenic hiking trails. Lace up your boots and get ready for a lovely semester abroad in an energetic city.
Palmerston North Program Highlights
- Study abroad at Massey University's original campus in Palmerston North, which is known as the 'Student City' due to the fact that half of the population is below the age of 25
- Take advantage of our included pre-semester trip to the beautiful islands of Fiji
- Experience living with local and other international students in university housing
- Take advantage of our mid-semester trip options to New Zealand's adventure-packed South Island or the culture and beaches of Thailand
- Live in a great student-centered, small town, within two hours' drive from Wellington, the central Plateau ski fields, Lake Taupo, and the beaches and wineries of Hawke's Bay
- Feel the adrenaline rush during our Orientation Program where you are exposed not only to local culture but to New Zealand's love of extreme sports
"The TEAN Fiji trip and orientation was one of the greatest experiences of my trip, escpecially because of the friends I met. Because TEAN is smaller than other companies it was very easy to become close friends with the other students on the trip which provided us with places to stay when we wanted to travel to the north island. I also loved the attitudes of the group leaders and how it seemed as though they knew all of us very well, rather than just thinking of the students as just a number, or a customer."
Julie Kochan, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Furman Financial Aid
Furman students are eligible to apply Federal and State Aid and Institutional Scholarships towards the cost of the program and must complete a Consortium Agreement in order to have their aid applied toward the semester cost of the study abroad program.
Furman's Application Process
Submit a study away application to Furman University by Furman’s application deadline. Applicants will meet with a representative from the Study Away office for an interview. Students for whom the program is a good fit will be accepted and pre-approved to apply directly to the program. Furman will send the affiliate program a list of names of students who are pre-approved. Once accepted by Furman, students will apply directly to the affiliate program.
Once accepted by the affiliate program, students must submit a Transfer Credit Authorization Form to the Registrar at Furman in order to be pre-approved to receive credit for classes taken abroad. Please contact the Registrar at Furman if you have questions related to the form.
To commit to a program, students will pay a $500 non-refundable deposit to Furman within 2 weeks of acceptance. This deposit is put toward the total cost of the program. Furman will bill students for Furman’s tuition, room, and board, plus a $250 administrative fee approximately two months before the program starts.