Skip to content

Financial Questions

  • How much does it cost to study away?
For faculty-led semester programs, the cost is generally equal to semester tuition, room and board on campus (international airfare, tuition, lodging, most meals, and course-related travel are included) and financial aid applies as it would on campus. For May Experience programs, tuition is covered in the comprehensive semester fees, so students are charged the actual program costs which can range from $2,500 to about $6,000. Costs for Affiliate and Exchange programs vary. 
  • How will I be billed for this program?
A non-refundable/non-transferable deposit is due by the program confirmation deadline. If an interim payment is required, it will be specified in the program's Financial Agreement. The remaining balance for Furman faculty-led programs will be billed through your student account. Billing arrangements for Affiliate and Exchange programs vary.
  • How can I pay the deposit or make another payment? 
The initial deposit and interim payment (if applicable) must be brought to the Rinker Center for Study Away and International Education. The final payment should be directed to the Student Business Center. Payments may be made by check (made payable to "Furman University") or electronically through Furman's third party service provider, Official Payments.
  • My plans have changed and I need to back out of the program. Can I get my money back?
Your deposit is a sign of your commitment to a particular study away program. As such, the deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable. Refunds of any interim or final payments will be determined based on what may be recovered from prepaid airline tickets, from prepaid services abroad, and any recoverable fixed expenses. The refund might be zero.
  • Do I have to pay for housing at Furman while I am on a study away program?
Please see the housing office's website for housing options during your study away program. 
  • Are there any Study Away scholarships available?
Scholarships are available for Furman’s faculty-led May Experience and Semester programs and for semester Exchange programs. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, academic performance, and student’s rationale for study away. Students intending to apply for a scholarship should be sure that they have a FAFSA report on file with the Financial Aid office for the previous year.